A 31-year-old Perry man found dead in a stall of the Forsyth Walmart bathroom early Monday morning had just been released from jail the night before for DUI.

Reid Davis, 31, of Perry, was found unresponsive in the Walmart bathroom around 5:30 a.m. with a hyperdermic needle nearby. Coroner Joey Proctor, however, said the needle still had a cap on it. However sheriff Brad Freeman said indications are it was an overdose.

The day before his body was found, Davis had been stopped for DUI in Bolingbroke. Here’s what happened according to the sheriff’s report: At about 3:50 p.m. on Feb. 16, Dep. Peyton Henderson was notified by dispatchers of a black Jeep Cherokee driving recklessly in Bolingbroke. Witness Casey Rollins told deputies the vehicle had hit a mailbox on Pate Road, losing a mirror, and she said she followed it to the Exxon gas station on Hwy. 41 South. Henderson then found the vehicle at the Exxon station, where it was still running and occupying two parking spaces. Davis appeared to be passed out, and Henderson knocked on the window. Davis then rolled down the window and handed Henderson a credit card when Henderson asked for his driver’s license. Davis, who eventually found his license, said he had left his parents’ house in Perry and was headed to South Carolina. Davis told Henderson he last consumed alcohol at about 10 p.m. on Feb. 15. Henderson then asked Davis why he didn’t stop after hitting the mailbox, and Davis said he didn’t think he hit a mailbox. Davis then failed several field sobriety tests. While waiting for a tow truck, Henderson saw Davis fall asleep multiple times. Henderson then took him to Monroe County Hospital, where he took a blood test despite continuing to fall asleep. She then took Davis to the Monroe County Jail.

Henderson then called Rollins, who said the Jeep turned in front of her at the intersection of Pate Road and New Forsyth Road. Rollins said she saw the Jeep nearly drive off the Pate Road bridge over I-75 and then hit a mailbox before turning northbound onto Rivoli Road. Rollins said the Jeep then nearly hit several cars head on on Rivoli Road before taking several moments before crossing the train tracks at Klopfer Road. She said the Jeep then nearly hit the metal Marathon gas station sign on Hwy. 41 South.

Davis was released from from jail around 7:45 p.m. Inv. Alexander Daniels of the Forsyth Police Department said store video shows Davis entered the store soon after, around 8 p.m. Proctor said video shows him entering the bathroom around 9:05 p.m. Walmart closes at 1 a.m. He was found at 5:30 a.m. as workers arrived to open the store at 6 a.m.

The DUI wasn’t Davis’ first brush with the law. Back on Oct. 31, Bibb County deputies found Davis asleep in his vehicle in the parking lot of the Flash Foods at 4314 Pio Nono Avenue. Davis had a belt around his arm and a needle and other drug items near him. Deputies woke Davis and he admitted to doing heroin and he was arrested for drugs. 

Proctor said they won’t have Davis’ toxicology results for weeks, maybe months, to determine what killed him.