A Monroe County music pastor and his wife were able to nurse a pet fawn recently. Leighton Akins, music minister at Maynard Baptist Church, noticed that a car had struck a deer and killed it near his home in Jones County. While the mother died, the baby fawn trailing her survived and they found it trapped in some vegetation. They freed the baby deer but then the fawn jumped into a nearby creek. Finally the family fished the baby deer out of the creek and took him home to care for him until they could find shelter for him. Akins said they turned the fawn over to a state wildlife rehabilitation officer but enjoyed the fawn while they had it. (Photo courtesy Matthew Bishop)
- Report: Father shoots tire to stop son stealing truck, battery
- Forsyth man arrested for biting officer, paramedic at Walmart
- Community Unity at Kynette Park this weekend
- Fire claims home and dog in Juliette
- County to spend $5 million of fed funds on water, internet
- Historical marker for civil rights leader unveiled in Culloden
- County can’t help Cedar Creek resident with ATVs, road condition
- Friends of Monroe Co. Library donate books to jail library
- Woman barred from schools, bus for cussing out bus driver
- Falls View restaurant site of new fire station?
- Yardman survives tumble into creek
- Forsyth judge takes job in American Samoa
- Whiz in public leads to drug trafficking charges
- Huddle House employee upset over firing, Riverdale man flees, crashes ...
- Race and the BOE
- Good Samaritan gets truck stolen
- Man brings heat for pee on seat
- Truck driver, 80, dies in fall at Five Below
Success! An email has been sent to with a link to confirm list signup.
Error! There was an error processing your request.
Would you like to receive our daily news? Signup today!