Holiday Inn Express

Holiday Inn Express

 No one was injured when a lamp caught fire in a room at the Holiday Inn Express in Forsyth on Saturday, Oct. 26.

Forsyth and Monroe County firefighters and police officers were dispatched to the Holiday Inn Express around 10:30 a.m. on Saturday after a guest reported a fire in Room 327. Officer Jeremy Malone was talking to hotel employee Erika Tolbert when he saw a female hotel employee running upstairs in a panic on the security video stream. Malone found the woman and she told him she was going to the fire in Room 327. Forsyth police Cpl. Kim Barnett began making sure other guests were evacuating while Malone went to the fire. There, Malone found an off-duty county firefighter standing by the door. The fireman said he wasn’t going inside because there was a fire inside. Malone gave the fireman his flashlight to see if anyone was inside, because the power was out. The fireman found a small fire on a lamp inside the room. He grabbed an ice bucket, filled it with water on the ground from the hotel sprinkler system, which was on, and doused the lamp fire.

The hotel said that a Robert Stefanowicz had reserved the room for some of his employees. The fire was thought to be accidental.