A Forsyth man with a long rap sheet accused in an armed standoff with officers on Saturday night has been taken off the ventilator and is now responsive.

District attorney Jonathan Adams said Deon Bowden, 27, is showing signs of improvement after getting shot in a shootout with city and county authorities in the Blount Street area on Saturday.

It started after a 911 call reported that Bowden, was hitting his girlfriend and a pregnant friend at a Clearview Road home around 9 p.m. When a city officer arrived, Bowden began firing at him, said sheriff Brad Freeman. The city called for backup.

As Monroe County deputies arrived, Bowden got into a car and sped to nearby Blount Street where he sideswiped one Monroe County patrol car and crashed head-on into another, said Freeman. Then Bowden pulled a pistol and was shot several times by officers. Officers gave first aid until EMS responded, said the GBI. Bowden was taken to Navicent Health where he was reported in critical condition but was showing some improvement. No officers were hurt.

Bowden is no stranger to local authorities. Records show he’s been arrested at least eight times with several convictions. 

On May 11, 2012, Bowden was arrested for waving a gun at Union Hill Apartments. Forsyth officer Geoff Holtzclaw had to pull his weapon and order Bowden to drop the gun three times before he finally complied. He was charged with possession of a firearm by a convicted felon. The next day, May 12, 2012, Bowden was in the Monroe County Jail when he tried to pull a phone off the wall. He was ordered to stop but did not, finally pulling the phone off the wall. He was ordered to drop the phone and still refused and instead came at deputy Scott Raper in an intimidating manner. So Raper had to pepper spray Bowden, who swung the phone at Raper, striking him in the left shoulder. Bowden was charged with battery and interference with government property for that incident.

Adams said Bowden served five years after being convicted of aggravated battery in 2012. He pled guilty to assault and battery in another case this past March. 

“He’s no stranger to the Monroe County sheriff’s office,” said Freeman. “He’s lucky to be alive.”

The GBI will handle the case.